Sunday, August 13, 2017

My Quilt to be Donated to the Ronald McDonald House

On July 22, I participated in a day long sew in to make a quilt to be donated to the sick children at the Ronald McDonald House in Albany, NY. 
Eight people came together at Shirleys Stoney Creek in Richmondville, NY to sew quilts. At the end of the day, we'll have 8 or 9 quilts to bring to the Quilts for Kid's Northeast Chapter of NY, who will deliver them the Ronald McDonald House.



I made an 8" block of sea creatures complimented by an 8" windmill block. I chose this because I really need some practice with the windmill blocks. I started with fabric unrelated to what I wanted to use in the quilt.


Then began with the fabrics I chose for this quilt. 




 
I made these ahead of the event and thank goodness I did. Otherwise, I'd be there for two days making these things. I have reason to practice making these which I'll share in a future post
I alternated the windmill blocks with the sea creatures to create a row. I made 5 rows. 
The night before I was working on some embroidery projects. I thought I would quickly make a label for the quilt. Here are my thread choices.
And here is my label.
I put together the rows at Shirley's Stoney Creek on the day of the event.
Once the rows were together, I made the back and sandwiched the batting in between the quilt top and backing.  I set up my (very heavy machine I took to Shirley's) and quilted the sandwich.  

At the end of five hours, the only thing I had left to do was a binding.
Back at home, I started the binding. 



The finished quilt.


I'd love to see some of your quilts you've made for a charity or community group. Feel free to comment and post pictures of what is special to you. 


No comments: