Friday, July 29, 2016

Table Toppers: Many Designs from One Pattern


Sometimes just a small quilt can make a big impression on the tables in your home.  The fabric for these really quick and easy table toppers is from Windham fabrics in the Echo collection.

I've been playing around with these for awhile now and just finished them today. They are a great addition to my dining table and the coffee table.

I purchased the fabric from my favorite little shop in Windham NY: The Patchwork Co.  I picked up the pattern there also.  The pattern features 5 different designs, a bargain for the price. 

As I finished piecing the fabric I used a spray adhesive to  adhere it to the binding and backing. 


With the leftover fabric (lots of it) I made many coasters and hot plate mats. You can never have enough of these, right? 




 Here is one of the designs of the table topper.  Notice the binding on this: a scrappy binding that I have come to love. I've used this type of binding on a few quilts now and I find it's a great way to use up extra fabric.


And take a look at the back. I didn't have a big enough piece of fabric so I decided to piece different fabrics together . I like it! Do you? 


Below are just some photos of the table toppers in various settings. 




 So what do you think of these two designs? Which do you like better?



Lessons Learned:

1. Don't be afraid to try the scrappy way of binding. I find it gives an interesting look to your quilt projects.

2. I used these smaller quilts to practice my free motion quilting. The more I do the better I get.

Thanks for reading my blog today.

2 comments:

Tami Von Zalez said...

I love the small projects as you say a good way to practice FMQing. Since I work mainly with scraps in my creations, some of my bindings are scrappy too and I like the look. I like both of your creations and the way you pieced the backing with the black and white fabric.

Tracy said...

Thanks Tami. I have just started experimenting with piecing the backs of quilts and the scrappy borders. I think I'm in love and I'll definitely use them more. :)
Thanks for visiting,
Tracy