Friday, July 28, 2017

Christmas In July, Double Sided Napkin Tutorial

My friend, Donna, want's to learn to sew.  I'm not a Christmas in July person because it reminds me of the "way too soon, upcoming holidays"; however, I just uncovered this wonderful Peanuts themed fabric so I guess I can make this exception to help my friend to create simple double sided napkins.

During this past early July visit, I showed her how to use her new sewing machine ( a great buy at Costco, I wish they were in NY). I started by showing her how to make simple, folded edge napkins. Soon I thought, there must be an easier way for a beginner. I decided the double faced napkins might be the thing that could boost her confidence in simple sewing techniques.

Step 1: Select 1 yard of 2 different fabrics.  As I said, Christmas in July, I'd rather forget, but since I had these whimsical Peanuts fabric, they'll do for now.
Prewash your fabric. Warm water and dry in a warm temp in the dryer.
Press with an iron.

Step 2: Prewash fabric in warm water and dry on low heat

Step 3: Cut your fabric to your desired dimensions. I like to use  16 x 16 squares. I cut four of each fabric.


Press and place square right sides together and pin. When pinned you will see the dull side of both fabrics. 
Sew around all four sides of the fabric using a 1/4 inch seam allowance. Leave an opening on one side about 4".
Trim four corners of each napkin being careful not to cut the corner stitching.
Place your hand inside the opening, grab the other side and pull it back through the opening. You are now switching the napkin to see the right/bright sides.
Use a pointed instrument to poke the each of the corners. Sometimes I use scissors, but just be careful not to puncture your stitching.
Once the napkin is turned right side out, press seams flat.
Top stitch around all four sides including the opening.

Voila! Easy Peezy Lemon Squeezy! Done. You can make as many as you like. Just purchase more fabric.
Here is a site that shows you how to fold the napkins in many different ways.
https://www.napkinfoldingguide.com/
Have fun and enjoy!




To do a test, go to Walmart and purchase two fat quarters for each napkin. They can be different colors or the same. Cut two 16 x 16 squares. Follow the above directions. I'm sure you'll be happy with what you create. 

Happy celebrating, Donna! 
 

Merry Christmas in July everyone!



No comments: