Sunday, April 1, 2018

My Aunt Sam and Her Absolute Love of Baseball

I thought for sure I posted the quilt I made for my Aunt Sam. I'm embarrassed to know that I did not. :(

Aunt Sam lived most of her life in CA and WA state. After a full life of traveling, her husband passed on and my Mom and Uncle went to get her in CA to bring her back to NY.

I was in touch with my Aunt Sam every once in awhile but did not really know who she was until recent years. She stayed with my mom until she fell down multiple times and my mom could not help her anymore. :(

The family agreed to have her stay in Amsterdam where the care was much more than we could give.  She has been there for more than a year. My Mom visits multiple times a week and I go to see her as much as I can.

The one thing I admire and am in awe of about Aunt Sam is her past, and still current, knowledge of sports; especially baseball and golf.

She loved her LA Dodgers. From her home state, the Brooklyn Dodgers moved west and she could be a historian for the team.

I wanted Aunt Sam to have a keepsake to always remind her of her love of baseball, so I made her this quilt. A simple striped number which included multiple generic baseball fabrics, her LA Dodgers fabric and a Snoopy baseball fabric I found. She immediately understood the significance of the Snoopy fabric.

With each quilt I make, I try to find a fabric that will have special meaning for the recipient.
I wanted to keep the design of the quilt simple but interesting. I liked the idea of the stripes, which was one I saw on Pinterest.

I decided to Monogram a baseball on the quilt so everyone would know it was hers. 


Turns out the monogram didn't mean anything because this quilt was lifted within a year of her having received it.






I wish you could have seen her face when she opened the quilt. She loved and cherished it. 
Lessons Learned:
1. Make something from the heart for a special person. You will feel joy and inspiration for doing something kind for them.

Have you ever made something for someone special? I'd love to hear what you have done. Leave comments below.






PS. With the help of a special friend, I made a second quilt for Aunt Sam after the first one was stolen. She was so thoughtful and proud, she would not allow me to leave it with her at the living center.  I have it at my home and will always cherish what it meant to her and to me.



Check out Charlie's bandana! I gave this 2nd quilt to Aunt Sam around the time the LA Dodgers were in the world series in 2017. Charlie and I were so hoping they would win for Sam.



No comments: